Monday, May 12, 2014

DIY Brown Sugar

Ok, why didn't anyone tell me how easy it was to make brown sugar?! I'm passing this along to you so hopefully you never have a baking emergency where you need brown sugar and think you don't have any on hand. All it takes is two ingredients: sugar and molasses. That's it. I thought there was more to it but nope, that's everything. For every 1 cup of sugar, you need 1 1/2 Tablespoons of molasses. So for example, 3 cups of sugar equals 4 1/2 Tablespoons of molasses.


Add the molasses to the sugar and using a hand mixer or spatula, mix thoroughly.


Note that there will be clumps of molasses so you have to mix and mix and mix. I spent 6 minutes using the hand mixer and 2 minutes using a spatula, just to get it all combined.


Put the brown sugar into an airtight container.


I've heard if you put a marshmallow in the same container as the brown sugar, it will keep it from clumping. I don't know if that's true or not but you're free to add one, if you like. If you do, let me know how it works for you!


TOTAL COSTS: About $7 to make as much as you want!
$4.19 for molasses
$2.69 for sugar

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Less than 10 minutes

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
Whoever says this isn't the easiest thing to do is either lazy or is adding a step that isn't necessary. It tastes just like store-bought brown sugar!... or... so I've been told... excuse me, I have to go make a dentist appointment now...

No comments:

Post a Comment