Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fruit Roll-Up Fortune Cookie Valentines

I've posted a few Valentine's Day gifts for him and her... but what about the kiddos?? I'm sure you would want to let your little ones know how special they are to you and what better way than to secretly include a fortune "cookie" in their lunch with a little note, just from you! I found this post on SheKnows and wanted to give you a few tips before tackling this project:

First, get your supplies together:

1. Parchment paper
2. A DARK marker (you'll see why later)
3. Fruit Roll-Ups
4. Scissors
5. A round cookie cutter or something to trace around with a knife (I used the top of my Women's One-a-Day Vitamins jar)

First, write your messages. Cut strips of parchment paper to put inside the fruit roll-ups (mine measured to be roughly 1 3/4" x 1/2"). Draw a heart and write a message - my marker was pink and barely showed up on the paper, so keep that in mind when writing your notes.

Next, the original post suggests laying four Fruit Roll-Ups on top of each other before cutting them out with your cookie cutter/tracing the circles out, but I recommend three layers (it's not as thick and bulky but I encourage experimenting!). Note that my Fruit Roll-Ups were multiple colors so I divided them into green/red and yellow/red circles.


Once your circles are ready, lay your message down and bring the top and bottom together. I found it helped to pinch all around the edges before bending the center in to make it look like a fortune cookie.

Note: if you choose to only do 1 layer of Fruit Roll-Up per fortune...

Chances are you'll be able to see right through. Also, I found it doesn't stick together very well.


Bend it in the middle and you're done! Your kid will have a fun treat at lunch and know just how much you love them without being embarrassed in front of all their friends!


TOTAL COSTS: $6 to make as many as you can!
$3.99 for Fruit Roll-Ups
$3.99 for parchment paper from Target
Scissors and marker already on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: About 45 minutes
15 minutes to make the fortunes
30 minutes to cut out and form the "cookies"

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
It helps there aren't a lot of steps to take to make these adorable treats for your little ones. Be creative and Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment