Sunday, January 5, 2014

Penny Vase

Do you have lose change all over your place? In your couch, in random small jars, on your bedside table? For us, we have an old Double Bubble Bubble Gum container that holds all of our pennies but because we never use pennies, it has been overflowing for some time. What's the best thing you can do with pennies? Well, the answer is probably not glue them to a vase, but that's what I did!

Here's what I originally saw on Pinterest (the link it was tied to no longer works):


Now being the pessimist that I am, I saw multiple ways this could go wrong but really, you get what you expect!

I used an old vase I received when my husband bought me flower from the florist (which I don't recommend because the color peels off), a hot glue gun, 2-3 sticks of hot glue, and some pennies.

I started from the top and worked my way down. Here are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. As soon as you put hot glue on the penny, put it on the vase immediately. The longer you wait, the faster the glue will cool and it won't stick to the vase.

2. There are three ways I found to place the pennies. You could have them line up with the row above/below the next row, creating a bigger pocket. You could have the pennies go in between the row above/below the next row, creating a smaller pocket. Or you could slightly stack the pennies, so they overlapped a bit. Whichever way you glue your pennies, note that you'll be able to see the color of the vase underneath, no matter what.

3. Any penny from 1941 or 1942 is worth a lot of money, so don't use those!

And that's it! Now you can either put flowers in the vase or have this be a bigger coin jar for you and your family!


TOTAL COSTS: Depends on how big a vase you use and how many pennies
My vase was 12" tall and free and I ended up using $2.25 worth of pennies. Hot glue gun and hot glue already on hand.

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Depends on how big a vase you use and how many pennies
Mine ended up taking 2 hours, almost to the minute

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
It doesn't get much easier than this, kids. You're just gluing pennies to a vase, it ain't rocket science!

No comments:

Post a Comment