Friday, January 3, 2014

Orange Strips - Navel, Clementine, and Mandarin

A friend of mine showed me this photo and asked if it really does work:


Well kids, I knew I had to take this challenge! To make it fair, I used three different kinds of oranges, to see if the results were different: a navel orange, a clementine orange (sometimes known as "seedless tangerines"), and a mandarin orange. I also took videos, so you could see exactly what steps I took in cutting and slicing the oranges.

First, the navel orange. I found this worked the WORST! The rind was too thick so you can't "simply unroll the orange."


Next came the clementine. This was a better attempt, but not exactly what I had imagined. Again, you can't simply unroll the orange and have all the pieces separated but with a little work, you can separate out the slices. Still... meh...


Finally, I tried a mandarin orange and this worked the best! You'll see that I still had to separate out the slices but it looks the most like the original photo. If you decide to do try this, I recommend using a mandarin orange.


TOTAL COSTS: Prices may vary, depending on grocery store (prices below from Vons)
$.99 for navel oranges
$.99 for clementines
$.99 for mandarins

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Less than 1 minute

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
It's not difficult at all, it's just not as easy as the photo suggests!

No comments:

Post a Comment